– compiled by Louisa Halter and Birte Jahnke

At Folkwang you can borrow books, scores, and instruments as well as a variety of technical equipment.

For students of all faculties:

  • SAMA (Student Loan Media Facility in the basement of Folkwang):
    It is possible to borrow technical equipment for performances, such as microphones, cables, speakers or video equipment such as cameras and accessories.
    Currently responsible for the loan is Benedikt ter Braak. You can reach him under the following e-mail address: benedikt.braak (at)
  • Library: In addition to books, sheet music and DVDs you can also borrow charging cables for smartphones and laptops as well as headphones for a deposit in the Folkwang library. Just ask at the circulation desk. All Folkwang students have the opportunity to order books and other media (sheet music, DVDs, CDs, etc.) by interlibrary loan if they are not available in the library. The order works online, here is the link to the interlibrary loan system: interlibrary loan Please scroll down to “Suchen / Bestellen” and click on “Fernleihe”.
    The registration takes place via the user ID (number on your student card, which is also valid as a library card, for example E10123312345) and a password (your birthday by default). The fee is € 1.50 per ordered title plus postage costs of € 0.70 (not applicable if you use e-mail notification).
    By the way: Folkwang students can also borrow for free in the library of the University of Duisburg-Essen: Library of the University of Duisburg-Essen Information on registration is available on this page: Registration information

For students of faculty 1 and 2:

  • Folkwang also has some instruments available for loan. If you want to borrow an instrument, you have to contact your professor in the first step. The professor records the condition of the instrument at the time of the loan and the return and determines the duration of the loan. Forms for borrowing and returning an instrument can be found at the bottom of the following page: Borrowing instruments at Folkwang
    Ms Flender manages the loans. She has her office in the building at Wesselswerth in room 4. She confirms that the instruments are insured during the loan. You will also need a signature by the dean (or the vice dean) before you can take the instrument and play it.

For students of faculty 2:

In faculty 2 it is possible to borrow laptops for study related work. Responsible is Catrin Köhler in room W020. You reach her at: koehler (at)

For students of faculty 4:

  • Various photo equipment (cameras, lenses, etc.) can be rented by students of faculty 4 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10.00 to 12.00 a.m. with Serge Henning in room 3.51. You can reach him at serge.henning (at)
  • Video equipment (video cameras, microphones, etc.) can be rented by students of faculty 4 from Mondays to Fridays at the usual service times with Thilo Grimm in room 3.19. You can reach him at thilo.grimm (at)